Dorn VA: Delays at hospital have 'been resolved' | News
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS)- After a CNN investigation into patients who were left waiting too long
for care and a WIS investigation into a lack of surgeons at the
hospital, officials at the Dorn VA Hospital claim many of the issues they
were having have been fixed.
A statement from the VA says the Veterans Health Administration reviewed cases nationwide and created "processes and oversight mechanisms" to prevent issues from happening at Dorn and other VA centers.
delay at Dorn VAMC has been resolved," said the statement. "Additional staff have been hired to meet
the demand for services and consults are tracked daily to ensure timely care is
VA officials also say 55 cases at the hospital were reviewed and they found 20 veterans were "adversely affected by delays in care."
"As a part of this
review, it was determined that there have been a total of 6 deaths associated
with the patients' underlying malignancy," said the statement.
Nine families in South Carolina have filed suit against Dorn VA over delay of care issues.
Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations