Fire causes power outage at Ft. Jackson | News
FORT JACKSON, SC (WIS)- Power is out in most parts of Fort Jackson.
Spokesperson Pat Jones tells WIS that a fire Tuesday afternoon at an electrical substation that provides power to Fort Jackson caused the outage.
SCE&G and Fort Jackson crews are working on restoring power.
Jones says facilities that require emergency power are running on generators, but most of the power is out on base.
The outage is affecting land line telephone service.
Jones says Moncrief Army Community Hospital is running on back-up
power and has implemented its contingency plan.
The hospital has limited ability to handle acute medical needs and
limited urgent care services.
Jones recommends anyone who experiences an emergency should call 911 or seek help at an off-post emergency facility.
Hospital officials are asking anyone with an appointment
at the hospital to reschedule (751-2273) when phone and electrical services are restored.
Investigators have not determined what caused the fire at the electrical station.
Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Death of child considered suspicious, under investigation
- Columbia Style Week To Be Held June 11th to 15th
- RCSD to host Skills on Wheels Basketball benefit
- South Carolina Drug Cards FREE Through SC African Chamber of Commerce
- Boil water advisory issued for Windsor Village, Waterford at Columbia and Parliament Lake